FOREST ASSISTANT III (NURSERY HEADMEN), JOB GRADE KFS 12- REF-KFS/FAIII/2022 ONE HUNDRED & THIRTY-SIX (136) POSTS (PERMANENT & PENSIONABLE
a) Job Specification
This is the entry for cadre for Forest Assistant. An officer at this level shall report to Forest Station Manager.
b) Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement the forest legislation and related policies for enhancing the growth and development of the forest sector.
- Labelling of seed and seedlings beds for easy identification and monitoring.
- Participate in data collection on seed germination to determine germination percentage.
- Participate to basic forest data for entry into forest records books and registers.
- Identification of nursery soil collection sites.
- Participate nursery soil curing and collection.
- Record station rainfall, wind speed, wind strength, humidity and wind direction data.
- Participate in forest survey and inventory activities.
- Carry out forest conservation activities.
- Participate in forest fire fighting
- Participate construction of germination and Swaziland beds.
- Participate in monitoring pest and diseases out breaks in the tree nursery and the field.
- Mixing of nursery soil to ensure appropriate ratios.
- Participate in nursery activities (seed sowing, pricking out, potting, hardening-off, soil fumigation, root pruning, watering, chemical and fertilizer application, cleaning and weeding).
- Identification of sites for flying nurseries to enhance proximity to planting sites.
- Participate in the implementation of forest activities (stake cutting, staking out, planting, beating up, pruning, thinning, re-spacing, coppice reduction, and climber/creeper cutting, weeding, boundary and fire break maintenance).
c) Person Specifications
- KCSE (D+)
- Certificate in Forestry
- Proficiency in computer applications