Main functions include technical support to the Counties; advisory services for forest management; promoting biomass energy development and utilization. Forestry technology development and transfer; promoting private and farm forestry; promoting dry land forest conservation; and promoting farmer field schools and other participatory forest management.
- Promote private farm forestry i. e. Advice farmers on tree growing and management.
- Promote biomass (wood fuel) energy development and utilization.
- Promote dry land forestry.
- Promote participatory forest extension methodologies including farmer field schools (FFS).
New innovations and strategies towards achieving the 10% tree cover;
- Promote on farm forest plantations in a business enterprise.
- Farm Forestry Field Schools: (Extension methodologies)
- The school greening programme.
- Urban tree planting amenity programmes.
- (Charcoal Producers Associations) Development of charcoal industry (Formation of CPAs and value chain development.
- Woodland management planning for livelihood improvement.
- Non-wood forest products development (Gums and resins)
- Partnerships and stakeholder participation in forestry development.
- Bamboo growing and value chain development.
- Engagement of County Governments in forestry development.